Monday 1 April 2013

Week 5 - Music Is All I Got

Religion is emotive. Music is emotive. Naturally, religious music is highly emotive. In saying this, mainstream music is more commonly using subtle undertones of religion in the use of 'spirituality' as opposed to religious symbols in songs. This shift has not gone unrecognised, as Rupert Till (2010) discusses in his book Pop Cult: Religion and Popular Music. 

It is amazing the power music has to create feelings and rekindle memories. Love Is All I Got by Feed Me & Crystal Fighters brings the sacred into the mainstream with its transic beat and lyrics. It talks about feeding your soul with love to lead a more fulfilling life, a message of many religious traditions. More than this, the film clip follows the story of the main singer who strives to become a hero for the to save/get the girl of his dreams, to be the one to save her with love, just like a God?


More often, music is taking on spiritual meaning. With so many different genres of music emerging there is something for everyone. Last week I went to a Drum and Bass concert in Fortitude Valley where I witnessed first-hand, the spiritual elements to a style of music I'd never really heard of. At first I sat on the edge of the dancefloor observing some of the hard-core DnB fans. When the main act, Black Sun Empire came on, my friend got up and I also felt compelled to get up and dance to what a few minutes ago had seemed ridiculous. Participants threw their bodies back and forth in time to the music, shifting their weight from one leg to the other, spinning, throwing their hands up and letting their bodies flail unconsciously about. By closing my eyes, I could feel what they were. An overwhelming sense of letting go, not watching or caring what the people around me were doing, caught in the trance of the DnB. 
Black Sun Empire, DnB Concert 30/3/13

This ability to get carried away is an essesntial spiritual element to the music I listen to. Music can take us to a new place and let us forget our problems for a moment, just like religion. 

References: 

Till, R. 2010. Pop Cult: Religion and Popular Music. London: Continuum International Publishing, Ch. 9, Do You Believe in Rock and Roll. Musical Cults of the Sacred Popular. 168-192. Ebook.

Love Is All I Got. 2012. Retrieved 29 March, 2013. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_EyOIiiNR4

No comments:

Post a Comment