Sunday 14 April 2013

Week 6 - Commodified Religion

Religion is everywhere; on the television, Facebook, YouTube and on the streets, billboards and radio. Religion has become a commodity, particularly in the developed world, in order to survive. This is due to the mass media that is presented to us every day. Facebook, Twitter, television etc. give reach to a wider community of devotees of religious institutions. 

With this in mind it is important to note that the proselytism of religion via advertisement can also fall short. Take The Church of Scientology as an example. Their 2009 campaign includes a series of video clips that show images of everyday people and activities with the tag line of Scientology: Know Yourself-Know Life at the very end. The advert pulls watchers in because everyone can relate to the images on the screen. The multi-million-dollar branding message transforms Scientology from the stale figure of Tom Cruise into a hip, modern and cool commodity, yet doesn't mention once what Scientology actually is (Einstein 2011).

Images and symbols play a major role in the commodity of religion. Debord (1994) talks about the 'spectacle' that is constructed in society today. This is fueled by the branding of religion intertwined with social and everpresent media. The 'spectacle' surrounds religion. It is not about looking at images as a 'spectacle', but the 'social relationship between people that is mediated by images' (Debord 1994). Everyone wants to be a part of and know about the spectacle in order to conform and accept the commodification of religion. 

Fashion is a major part of the branding of religion. A few years ago it was all about wearing jewelry with crosses on them or the branding of religious groups on t-shirts and even underwear. This religious symbolism and branding is inescapable. For me, the religious pieces of fashion I own (seen below) are about the story behind them, not merely their religious origin. All of them permeate memories of when/where I received them or who gave them to me. 

(From left to right)
Rosary beads: a present from my Mother when she went to Ireland
Rosary bead bracelet: a reminder of my European travels in 2010 from Notre Dame
St Rita medallion: a reminder of my time spent at high school
Rosary beads: originally my Grandmother's 
Cross necklace: the last present I received from my Nanna
Guitar keyring: memento from a camp I attended holding spiritual significance
Rosary beads: my first set given to me at my conformation


References: 

Einstein M. 2011. The Evolution of Religious Branding. Social Compass 58(3): 331-338. (RL)

Debord G. 1994. The Society of the Spectacle. New York: Zone Books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment